Tax Check List

Personal Information (Your social security number or tax ID number; Your spouse's full name and social security number or tax ID number)

Dependent(S) Information (Dates of birth and social security numbers or tax ID numbers; Childcare records (including the provider's tax ID number) if applicable; Income of other adults in your home; Form 8332 showing that the child’s custodial parent is releasing their right to claim a child to you, the noncustodial parent, if applicable)

Sources of Income

Employed (Forms W-2);

Unemployed (Unemployment, state tax refund -1099-G);

Self-Employed (Forms 1099-MISC, Schedules K-1, income records to verify amounts not reported on 1099s; Records of all expenses — check registers or credit card statements, and receipts; Business-use asset information (cost, date placed in service, etc.) for depreciation; Office in home information, if applicable; Record of estimated tax payments made - Form 1040ES);

Rental Income (Records of income and expenses; Rental asset information (cost, date placed in service, etc.) for depreciation; Record of estimated tax payments made - Form 1040ES);

Retirement Income (Pension/IRA/annuity income - 1099-R; Traditional IRA basis (i.e. amounts you contributed to the IRA that were already taxed); Social security/RRB income - 1099-SSA, RRB-1099);

Savings & Investments or Dividends (Interest, dividend income (1099-INT, 1099-OID, 1099-DIV);

Income from sales of stock or other property (1099-B, 1099-S); Dates of acquisition and records of your cost or other basis in property you sold (if basis is not reported on 1099-B);

Health Savings Account and long-term care reimbursements (1099-SA or 1099-LTC);

Expenses Related to your Investments;

Record of Estimated Tax Payments made (Form 1040ES);

Other Income & Losses;

Gambling Income (W-2G or records showing income, as well as expense records);

Jury Duty Records;

Hobby Income and Expenses;

Prizes and Awards;


Royalty Income 1099 Misc.

Any other 1099s received;

Record of Alimony paid/received with Ex-spouse’s name and SSN;

Types of Deductions

Home Ownership (Forms 1098 or other mortgage interest statements; Real estate and personal property tax records; Receipts for energy-saving home improvements; All other 1098 series forms);

Charitable Donations (Cash amounts donated to houses of worship, schools, other charitable organizations; Records of non-cash charitable donations Amounts of miles driven for charitable or medical purposes);

Medical Expenses (Amounts paid for healthcare insurance and to doctors, dentists, hospitals);

Health Insurance (Form 1095-A if you enrolled in an insurance plan through the Marketplace (Exchange); Form 1095-B and/or 1095-C if you had insurance coverage through any other source (i.e . an employer, insurance company, government health plan such as Medicare, Medicaid, CHIP, TRICARE, VA, etc.); Marketplace exemption certificate (ECN) if you applied for and received an exemption from the Marketplace - Exchange);

Childcare Expenses (Fees paid to a licensed day care center or family day care for care of an infant or preschooler; Wages paid to a baby-sitter; Don't include expenses paid through a flexible spending account at work);

Educational Expenses (Forms 1098-T from educational institutions; Receipts that itemize qualified educational expenses; Records of any scholarships or fellowships you received; Form1098-E if you paid student loan interest);

Job Expenses & Tax Prep Fees (Employment related vehicle expenses (tolls, mileage, gas, maintenance, license, property tax, interest expense, parking); Receipts for classroom expenses (for educators in grades K-12); Employment-related expenses (dues, publications, tools, uniform cost and cleaning, travel); Job-hunting expenses; Record of moving expenses not reimbursed by employer; Amount paid for preparation of last year’s tax return);

State & Local Taxes or Sales Tax (Amount of state/local income tax paid (other than wage withholding), or amount of state and local sales tax paid; Invoice showing amount of vehicle sales tax paid;

Retirement & Other Savings (Form 5498-SA showing HSA contributions; Form 5498 showing IRA contributions; All other 5498 series forms - 5498-QA, 5498-ESA);

Federally Declared Disaster (City/county you lived/worked/had property in; Records to support property losses (appraisal, cleaning costs, etc.); Records of rebuilding/repair costs; Insurance reimbursements/claims to be paid; FEMA assistance information; Check FEMA site to see if my county has been declared a federal disaster area);

Featured Posts
Posts are coming soon
Stay tuned...
Recent Posts
Search By Tags
No tags yet.
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square